Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Pearl Jam is the only love of my life.

After the Harry Potter series ended, I've continually had to find new reasons to continue living. Pearl Jam and their music is one of those reasons. Rocking strong for like 16 years now, Pearl Jam is truly one of the bands of legend. A band that spans generational gaps. A band that always has something important to say, but their message means something different to every set of ears that happens across their music. Hard, soft. Grunge, punk. Anyone who appreciates rocknroll can, and should, appreciate PJ.



But to me it really doesn't matter if you do or don't. PJ is one of the few bands that I put above debate. A God, if you will. An entity in which I feel I owe something to. And I undoubtedly do owe some of my sanity to them. Mostly to Placebo, as far as music goes, but still some to PJ. Here's a Pie Chart of Things To Which I Owe My Sanity. If you find yourself in one of these categories, I thank you. If not, strive to be one. If you did the math, yes.



Anyways, back to Pearl Jam. I've seen them live(with Kings of Leon, who is also golden), and they are absolutely amazing. Throwing my newly purchased Pearl Jam shirt wrapped up in a ball to Will back and forth through a crowd just as the sun went down while PJ was jammin' away will forever be a memory sealed in my head. It was glorious.



The reason I've felt so obligated to express my undying love of Pearl Jam to all of you today is because they released a new album, which I just picked up, and am listening to as I write this. Now I'm not going to jump into the business of reviewing music, people do that better than me for money, but I can tell you that if you like Pearl Jam, Backspacer is a must buy. It's golden, and full of Eddie Vedder goodness. "The Fixer" is solid, I've already listened to it about 200 times(I bought the single on iTunes awhile ago), and I'm personally a big fan of "Unthought Known", it is probably the most reminiscent of the classic PJ sound. "Among the Waves" is another song that almost belongs with the PJ songs of old, but with this albums positive undertones, I almost feel a new category should be made. I'm not sure if we can expect more of these positive tunes in the future, but I'd like to see it happen. But if you think going into Backspacer you're going to get this lovie-dovie album, you're wrong, give "The End" a listen, it almost brought tears to my eyes.

Now that I'm done sucking Eddie Vedder's glorious piece, I would usually list the things wrong with the album here, but I really don't have much in the complaints department. As I said, Pearl Jam is perfectly flawed in my eyes. I'm pleased I bought the album, and being a person who very, very rarely pays for music, that's a huge compliment. I love you Pearl Jam, never stop rocking.

No comments:

Post a Comment